Thursday, November 5, 2009

November 5

We had a little mini protest in our town today. About 50 locals showed up at the office of our Congressman (Harry Teague - Democrat). Each signed a message to the Congressman, urging a no vote on HR 3692 - the health care bill.

Later, our phone rang at home, and I answered. A recorded voice identified herself as a spokesperson for A.A.R.P., and urged me to contact my congressman to support the health care bill. The voice even offered to connect me directly for a no-charge call directly to my Congressman's Washington office. It took a bunch of button pushing, entering my zip code, and waiting through about ten rings, but finally a person answered from Congressman Teague's office.

I explained that I was opposed to the pending health care legislation and urged the Congressman to vote no. She asked for my name, promised to give my message to Mr. Teague and thanked me for my call.

This event gave me special pleasure. I had been a member of A.A.R.P. for a number of years - until this spring when I cancelled my membership. It was a joy to note to myself that their "get out the vote" operation had resulted in a protest "vote" to the Congressman.

No comments:

Post a Comment