Friday, September 25, 2009

What racism?

With all the claims of racist being tossed around, some are saying that President Obama may be setting race relations backward in the U.S.

I think the opposite may be true.

After last November's election, pollsters said the "black community" voted 95% for Obama. Many accused the "black community" of being concerned only with skin pigment, and said that fact alone hurt race relations.

May I opine?

In the first place, what exactly is the "black community"? Do you remember the Harper Lee book, To Kill A Mockingbird? As I recall, at one point in the book, one of the characters said words to the effect that if a person has one drop of Negro blood in their veins, that makes them a Negro. Is that how we identify the "black community? today?

Even if you believe in the pollsters who surely drew blood and searched for that one drop, I don't think the strong African-American support for Barack Obama means much more than the bleacher-bound football fan screaming enthusiastically "We won!" But, if the 95% number is correct, what about the other 5%?

Yeah, what about them? Thanks to the Obama generated controversy many white Americans are hearing about (and from) them, and listening to them, for the first time. The large number (even if a small 5%) have spoken out in a way that has made many white people fully understand the depth of intelligence, awareness, logic, - help me fill in more laudatory adjectives - of many African-Americans.

I am a little reluctant to start naming names, because I know I can't remember them all. Still, I must mention Thomas Sowell, Larry Elder, Walter Williams, Ken Blackwell... and the women... Star Parker, Deneen Borelli, and all the others.

And, you know something? I question if any of these great and wise Americans have any ties to Africa, so why do we make a point of calling them African-Americans? You look at their photographs and sometimes you can't tell if they even have that one drop.

These men and women are demonstrating the wonderful truth that being an American has nothing to do with ethnicity, race, ancestral origin, or anything other than spirit and character. And I believe they are improving race relations beyond anything the social engineers have ever accomplished.

As athletes and musicians have proven for decades, when you truly admire someone, none of that race, religion or color baloney means a damn thing. Thanks, Barack, for arousing these admirable Americans and motivating them to speak out against your flawed policies.

1 comment:

  1. You are correct, to a point. But there is something much more sinister going on, too.

    And, as an aside...one of my pet peeves. Why are they African-Americans? Have you ever heard of an African-Canadian, an African-Frenchman, or an African-Brit? Of course not. Why are people of color perfectly content to just be countrymen in other nations, but apparently wish to water down their Americanism with tenuous ties to another continent? Very troubling aspect of political correctness.

    But, my main point...there is some very ugly racial stuff going on out there, too. I have no concept of the scope, but sincerely hope that it's a lot more miniscule than it seems to be. I see it in comments on articles on conservatives sites, and have experienced it myself. When I posted my Washington March videos on YouTube, I originally left them open to comment without moderation. I was hit with a rash of the most vile, hateful comments you can imagine...bad enough that I turned off commenting on all of my videos, and will not turn it back on. I was told, in much baser terms, that we whities should shut up. There is a black man in the White House now, the brothers have the power and we are going to pay. It was deeply disturbing stuff.

    Is there anything that Obama could do to stop this attitude? I don't know. But I know that I never saw comments of that nature until he took office. There was some pretty foul stuff during the campaign, but nothing to rival the new black supremecist attitudes.

    It's very troubling.

    ReplyDelete