Saturday, June 6, 2009

Some day, maybe.

I am an early riser, and usually go for a bike ride before 6:00 a.m.

This morning I stayed at the house to watch the D-Day ceremonies from France, which began at 6:30, our time. Mostly I wanted to hear what the attending heads of state would say.

Frankly, I was moved by the remarks of French president Sarkozy. A few times I had problems following the soft-spoken translator, but it was very clear that this French president was speaking for a truly grateful French people in thanking Americans who, along with British and Canadians, liberated his nation. We hear a lot of negative things about the French, but Sarkozy made it clear that, as he stated, France will never forget. He enumerated the thousands who died for the freedom of the French people, and I sensed his true and heartfelt gratitude.

At the risk of sounding like a right-wing radical, I must add that I was again disappointed in the comments by my own president. I had so hoped that Obama would take advantage of this setting to say something to the effect that Americans, born in freedom, want only to share that freedom with the people of the world. That is why Americans fought and died for others, in Europe in 1917-1918, and again in 1942-1945; in places like Cuba, The Pacific Islands, The Philippines, China-Burma, Korea, Viet Nam, Bosnia, Kosovo, Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan, and other places I am forgetting to mention.

He could have said that we claimed no territory except the small area where some 9,000 American dead are buried in the cemetery where he stood, and where tens of thousands more lie in other cemeteries scattered about the world.

It could have been a very short, very profound statement. Something akin to the address of president Lincoln at the dedication of the cemetery at Gettysburg.

But, Barack had to make it longer, and, of course, had to put himself in the narrative by mentioning the service of this forebears.

Well, in my way of thinking, Barack Obama has only recently become an American. Perhaps he is learning something about being an American. Perhaps, in time, he will even begin to think like us, and when speaking to the people of the world, will say the things an American would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment