Thursday, May 7, 2009

New Column!

This is my most recent column for my school paper... it's not even published yet, so feel special getting a sneak peek.
Call Me A Terrorist

Be forewarned: this is the last column I will ever have the privilege of writing for The Epic, and I don’t intend to hold back.

I’m sure that less than 10% of the student body are aware of the grave injustices we are suffering as Americans. The imbeciles elected to office on false pretenses and shallow experience are, in short, destroying the rights guaranteed us by our Constitution and infringing on the system of checks and balances that has prevented our country from becoming a dictatorship thus far.

This is quite a serious claim, I realize, but it is not fabricated from nothing. The mainstream media neglects to report details and, often, entire stories. You have to dig a bit.

Were you aware that the Department of Homeland Security issued a report stating concern that veterans returning from Iraq are a threat to national security? The brave soldiers who sacrificed their time and risked their lives to protect our country are now suspected of conspiracy to destroy it. They are being compared to Timothy McVeigh, the suicidal Desert Storm veteran in charge of the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995.

Congratulations and thank you to those readers whose families immigrated to this country legally or sought legal status after arrival; unfortunately, you wasted your time. As soon as autumn we may see legislation making 12 million illegal immigrants legal. Thanks for waiting in line to live the American dream the rightful way. I’m sorry your years of sacrifice may soon be futile.

This country is held together by the First Amendment, which provides for our right to freedom of speech, but it may not last. Google has frozen blogs of several outspoken anti-Obama bloggers. Once upon a time we had to understand that some opinions may differ from our own, but the days of peaceful dissent are done. (North Koreans are accustomed to hearing only one opinion, too.)

I’ve made it clear that I disagree with the current government. I find more fault than good with their actions in the recent economic crisis; their plans for handling health care, the environment, and many other issues; and their blatant disregard for the Constitution. In the past I wouldn’t have any reason to worry about allegations of treason, but today this column marks me a potential terrorist.

I’m not a terrorist... I’m just exercising my right to the pursuit of happiness while I still can. But you’re very wrong if you think I won’t fight for it.

2 comments:

  1. Kenzi...
    In your wildest dreams, you cannot imagine how proud you make me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Grandfather and I are of a like mind when it comes to being proud of you. You are the culmination of your mother and me. You will carry the torch for us when we are no longer able to do so. More young people like you would make looking into the future more bearable. I love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete