Thursday, April 16, 2009

Rules Is Rules!

Sitting here in class I'm writing interview questions for my next story in the school paper. The story is on students in NJROTC and seniors who are going into the Armed Forces after graduation. In my search for questions I ought to ask, I stumbled upon a news story.

Sikhs want U.S. Army to waive dress and appearance regulations - April 15, 2009

ARLINGTON, Va. – Seeing “Integrate the U.S. Army” on a protest sign recalls the civil rights struggles of African-Americans in the mid-20th Century. But on Tuesday, under a cold wet spring sky, more than a dozen Americans of a different minority, the Sikh faith, stood in front of the iconic Iwo Jima memorial to World War II with one simple request: Let us serve.

The Pentagon has informed two Sikh personnel in the Army Reserves, a doctor and a dentist, that they must remove their turbans and cut their hair when they are called into their regular Army service later this year, according to a Sikh advocacy group.


The rest of the article is here if you're interested.

When did rules begin to change just so that everyone would feel accepted? It's the same way at school-- the muslim girl is allowed to wear her stupid head scarf thing, but no one else can wear hats because they could be "gang symbols." I am outraged by these policies, and when decisions like this infiltrate our Army, where is the line? Once upon a time, rules applied to everyone regardless of race, sex, religion, or any other qualities, and I am appalled by this change in policy.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is a tough one! I was a soldier for a very short period of my life, but I subscribe to the slogan "I was a soldier - I am a soldier - I will always be a soldier."
    I have no relgion, but have always said I would die fighting for your right to choose and follow the religion of your choice.
    I am not altruistic... I just believe that religion is a personal matter, I have made my choice and I will respect every other person's choice.
    But, being a soldier is a bit different. Uniformity can be a matter of life or death on the battlefield. But, where is the edge of the battlefield? Can we abandon uniformity the moment we step out of the line of fire?
    I am afraid my gut reaction is to accept the judgement of the military leaders - the men and women who have made a career of studying what is good, and not so good, for the welfare of our fighting forces.
    As to headdress in school... I again refer to my brief but treasured military career... always remove your headgear when you go indoors... male or female. (I wish that was required of the guy with the ball cap sitting across from me in the restaurant.)

    ReplyDelete