Sunday, April 12, 2009

More Ayn Rand Treasures

Some years ago - perhaps in the mid-1970s - I was sitting near a TV one day when the Phil Donahue program announced that their guest that day was the author/philospher whose writings had gained such enormous popularity... Ayn Rand.

I scrambled to find anything that would record audio, (no home videotape was available at that time) and apparently came up with a batterty-powered audio cassette recorder, which I plunked in front of the TV set and hit the record button. In truth, I have no memory of the procedure I followed that day, but I have cherished that audio cassette all these years.

The quality of the audio is very poor, and I have run it through some filters in an effort to make it intelligible. I have searched for a better quality recording of the event, with no luck. If anyone can find such a recording, I would love to replace what I have. In the meantime, this is better than nothing.

I, of course, missed the opening of the program, but there is enough here to gather some more information on Miss Rand's views on feminism, atheism, and of course, capitalism. It is very interesting to see how she handled Donahue's liberal studio audience. (The program was recorded in New York.)

Part 1

Part 2

1 comment:

  1. I find it hghly interesting and entertaining listening to this interview. Near the end, there is a highly indignant woman who asks what makes Ms. Rand think that ITT, GM and Xerox will not amass more power with their monopolies. Flash forward 30 years...ITT has been absorbed into other companies, GM is on the verge of bankruptcy and Xerox is far from an overpowering force. Fascinating to see the past from this vantage point!

    ReplyDelete