Friday, March 27, 2009

Devil's Advocate?

I'm having a semi-interesting conversation with a friend of mine, and thought I might share...

Mike: While this world is seldom anything but a tragedy, I can't help but love the beauty of this mess we call mortality by humanity. I love it all. "Good" or "bad."
Me: I can't stand it anymore. I'm going to be part of the revolution.
Mike: You'll still alienate someone. You'll always alienate someone. What would that achieve except bring about your ideals? Do you think that's right? Please don't think I'm arguing. Simply playing devil's advocate. I like to think myself a little devil. Allow me that.
Me: Damn right I do, and I'll smile when the weak die off. Did you know Kansas may pass a bill to drug test recipients of welfare? I'm getting somewhere.
Mike: Let them wither. Let our supreme presence be known through our falsely divine judgment. I'd love nothing more than to see that. No matter how wrong it'd be.
Me: Two words dear, personal responsibility. The day it matters again, I will celebrate like no other.
Mike: You're still victim to falling short. You should know this. You are just as human as the rest of them. Can you place a degree on failure? It's all still failing.
Me: I am nothing like them. I will never take an undeserved dime, meaning any money I didn't work for. I'll send you my last column to explain my point.

Well, I suppose I shut him up... Am I wrong? because I really don't think I am. Yes, we are all human, but I have difficulty finding any comparison between myself and them that is not solely in our DNA. I suppose in most senses of the title, I am a social Darwinist. Survival of the fittest. Evolution is part of our way of life and I believe it needs to take its natural toll. If dolphins can learn to blow bubbles (yes, this is a recently acquired skill) then humans can learn to take care of themselves.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: dolphins blowing bubbles to the stunning music of John Williams and The Boston Pops Orchestra.


No comments:

Post a Comment