Sunday, February 8, 2009

America's last president?

I was born on a presidential election day - November 6, 1928. Maybe (but probably not) that is why I have always been so interested in elections.

My paternal grandfather died at 75. My father died at 75. So, when George Bush was elected in 2000, at the time of my 72d birthday, I thought, "Gee! This may be my last president!" But, amazingly, election day 2004 rolled around and I'm still kicking. I thought, "Gee, George Bush may be my last president after all!"

Then came election day 2008. Hey, I'm still here. Feelin' great. I may see several more presidential elections.

But what worries me is this: Will Barack Obama be America's last president. At least, the America I have enjoyed for eight decades and counting?

When I read Obama's book "Dreams", I was puzzled by his almost reverent recollection of Frank Marshall Davis. Just what kind of thinking did he develop at the knee of this old Communist?

Then I read about Obama's time at Columbia. Now at the knee of Marxist professors.

He graduates and his classmates head off to lucrative jobs. Not Barack. He goes to Chicago to be a $1,000 a month "Community Organizer", or, a Commumnity Troublemaker as some of the wise black pastors at Chicago churches found him to be. (Barack managed to find a pastor who, like Davis and some left nut professors, really hated America.) I became worried that Barack Obama, like Fidel Castro many years before him, was really a Marxist and one day would surprise us with that announcement.

Next, Obama takes up with Bill Ayers and miraculously comes up with the tens of thousands of dollars (sans scholarships) to pay the tuition at Harvard. Now he is president, and I am waiting for "the announcement".

Turns out that Barack is a lot smarter than Fidel. While Castro just wanted to stick it in our face and damn the consequences, Barack has missions to accomplish! Like getting his hand in the Federal till to pass out big cash gifts in the form of tax rebates to people who do not pay taxes. As Hugo Chavez (and Hamas) have learned, that is how you buy votes!

He's got his hand on the throttle and he is going to drive this train where he wants it to go, smiling all the while and talking about what's right for the people.

So, be careful, America.

But, also, be careful Obama! Many before him have thought Americans were soft, could be easily defeated or be led off the edge of the cliff. Americans have always proven otherwise. Will they again?

No comments:

Post a Comment