Saturday, February 21, 2009

Goodbye GM, Goodbye Chrysler


Cal Thomas had a good column the other day - he headlined it "Time for GM & Chrysler to go". Thomas named a number of one-time U.S. built cars whose makers went under.

At the onset of the depression, my Dad owned a big Graham-Paige, which he later used to build a saw mill for cutting firewood on the farm.





He worked me hard enough that I had to shed my heavy coat on that cool, fall day, ca. 1938!

Later, I remember my brother-in-law driving a car called a Whippet.

In 1958, an auto dealer friend ran a Kansas City Plymouth dealership. On the wall behind his desk he had a large poster with the pictures of two dozen or more already extinct American automobiles. Little did he, or I know that one day we could add his Plymouth to the picture.

If the above two of the Big Three quit, parts suppliers here and abroad will jump up and say they have all the parts you need for your Chevy or your Dodge. Mechanics from coast to coast will be ready and able to do any necessary repairs.

Companies come and go and are replaced by better ones. So, when your Chevy completely wears out, there'll be something else to drive to the levee. (But, it won't be a Merry Oldsmobile.)

No comments:

Post a Comment