Monday, February 16, 2009

If you thought Ayn Rand was prescient...

She didn't have much on Socrates. The American Thinker has a very thought provoking piece up today - How Democracies Become Tyrannies. Long, but worth the read.

I found it more than a little disturbing. How is it possible that things which apparently have been known and discussed for nearly 2,400 years go completely unnoticed? We warn ourselves with quaint little sayings like "those who forget history are doomed to repeat it," then proceed to do precisely that. How I wish I had memory banks like a computer, and would never forget anything I read!

Whatever else we allow to be taken from us, we cannot give up our Second Amendment rights.

1 comment:

  1. I blame our national ignorance of history on our educational system. I am not well informed enough to pinpont the blame, I only know the net result is that Americans are not taught, do not learn, history.
    One of my broadcast jobs was for a manager who was born and raised in Canada. In Canadian schools, he was taught... no, he learned, Canadian history. He once told me that before you can understand Canadian history, you have to first know and understand British history. He had been taught history.
    I am not anti sports, but I can guarantee that the average American college student today knows more about the NBA than the NRA (and I don't mean the National Rifle Association!)

    ReplyDelete